Apple & Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
A hearty breakfast or snack, to warm the kids on those cold winter days!
What you’ll need…
3 cups quick oats
3/4 cup light brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing the dish
1 cup chopped nuts (if desired)
2 tart but sweet baking apples (such as Honey Crisp) peeled and cut into 1cm chunks (about 2 cups)
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease an 8” or oblong baking dish with butter.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, 1/2 cup of the nuts, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix well.
3. In another bowl, break up the eggs with a whisk; then whisk in the milk and vanilla until well combined.
4. Add the milk mixture to the oat mixture, along with the melted butter.
5. Scatter the apples evenly on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pour the oatmeal mixture over top and spread evenly. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup nuts on top.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the top is golden and the oats are set. Serve warm or at room temperature.