Fall Flavours – East Apple & Oatmeal Muffins
There is nothing like warm, baked muffins, on a cool autumn day!
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners
- In a medium bowl, stir together: oatmeal, applesauce, milk, egg, vanilla, butter and sugar.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the applesauce mixture. Stir until just combined (don’t overmix or the muffins will be dense and dry).
- Pour batter evenly into the 12 muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Don’t overbake or the muffins will be dry.
- Remove the muffins to a rack to cool completely. Then store in an airtight container.