Bike riding is a great way to have fun together as a family. Biking provides a workout to many of the muscles and bones in your body; helping your family get aerobic exercise, keep their weight down and their hearts healthy!
There are many options for families with young children: seats for the back of an adult bike, bike trailers, or ‘trail-a-bikes’. These attach to an adult bike allowing children to pedal. Children can be pulled along when they get tired.
Family bike rides should be fun, but they should also be safe, so here are a few tips to keep as safe as possible:
- Always wear a helmet and be sure that it fits properly.
- Make sure everyone fits their bike properly; seats should be high enough so that legs are almost fully extended when the pedal is near the ground.
- Ensure your bikes have reflectors on the front and back.
- Make sure you have a bell to warn pedestrians you are coming along.
- Ensure everyone is educated on the rules of the road.
- Make sure you have enough water or know of places to fill up while you are out.
Start off small, if you all range in age and ability, start off around the neighborhood, then move on to trails when everyone is confident. Have Fun!