Keep Kids Healthy and Germ Free!
It is easy to forget how much more susceptible a child becomes to illness after returning to school. So many children crowded together for five days a week creates a perfect opportunity for germs to spread and illness to enter a home and affect the family. The following tips can help children remain healthy at school.
- Encourage your children to wash their hands before eating lunch and when they return home from school. Numerous studies show that consistent hand washing is a key factor in warding off illness.
- Keep perishable foods cold in your child’s lunch to prevent bacteria growth. Frozen gel packs or juice boxes are great for this.
- Discourage your children from drinking from the same cups as other children and from sharing things like combs or brushes. Viruses, lice and other germs are spread easily this way.
- Remind your children to keep their hands away from their mouth and eyes. Germs are easily spread this way and could possibly result in an infection.
- Tuck your children into bed at a relatively consistent time each night. Plenty of sleep (a recommended 8-10 hours) is necessary for growing children.
- Feed your children a nutritious and balanced diet to make sure that they are getting all of the vitamins and minerals they need.
We hope that these tips will help keep your family healthy, and help your children to have a happy and productive school year.