Strawberries – Delicious & Nutritious
Strawberries are a sure sign that summer is coming!
Picking strawberries is a great family tradition. Let’s review some helpful tips, to get everyone ready for the berry patch:
• Call the farm just before you go (strawberries are affected by the weather)
• Plan to pick early in the day (less crowded, less hot)
• Bring your own picking containers – they shouldn’t be too deep, as piling berries will bruise the bottom ones
• Wear light clothes and layers. Bring water, sunscreen and a hat. Water is important to stay hydrated!
Strawberries are for the picking!
At the patch – Select plump, firm, fully red berries (smaller berries are often the most flavourful). Remember: berries do not ripen once they are picked. Avoid placing the picked berries in the sunshine. Cool them in a nice shady spot.
When you get home – Don’t wash the berries until you are ready to use them. Wet strawberries are more prone to spoiling. Put a couple of days supply in the fridge and freeze the rest.
Freezing – Without Sugar: Hull berries; place whole ones on cookie sheets and freeze. Package quickly and return to freezer.
Take advantage of what our bountiful province has to offer. Be sure to get out and visit a farm, or your local farmer’s market this summer.
STRAWBERRY OATMEAL BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE
• ½ cup rolled oats: You’ll be grinding these up slightly before making the rest of the smoothie.
• 1 cup almond milk: or any milk you prefer.
• 1 large banana (frozen or fresh)
• 14 Strawberries (frozen)
• ½ tsp vanilla extract
• 1 tbsp of Honey (optional)
• Add the oats to a blender/food processor – pulse a few times to grind up slightly.
• Add milk, banana, strawberries, and honey – blend until smooth and combined.
• Pour into glasses and serve immediately.